Title of Position: Water Treatment and Distribution System Operator
Department: LPA Water Department
Title of Immediate Supervisor: LPA Water Department Supervisor
Definition: The Water Treatment and Distribution System Operator position is a mid-level position that reports to the LPA Water Department Supervisor. The employee will be responsible for assisting in the supply of clean potable drinking water to customers. The employee does not directly manage any subordinates but is expected to demonstrate knowledge and leadership qualities in team settings. The employee must be detail oriented, dependable, and knowledgeable.Normal working hours will be Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. The employee will be required to participate in a scheduled, rotating shift for weekend duties. The employee will also be required to participate in unscheduled emergency repairs on nights, weekends, and holidays. The employee will be paid hourly and is eligible for overtime pay.
- Grade I (One) Water Treatment Certification.
- Valid Iowa Driver’s License.
- Ability to work occasional weekends, holidays and/or extended hours.
- Ability to report to worksite within one hour for emergencies.
- Ability to perform physical labor and walk over uneven terrain under all weather conditions.
- Must be sighted and be able to distinguish colors.
- Must have manual dexterity sufficient to thread screws, bolts, nuts and other appurtenances usedin repair/replacement of equipment in a water treatment facility and distribution system.
- Must consistently conduct themselves in a professional manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
- Ability to attend training programs to maintain state certified license(s).
Applicants must possess a minimum Grade I (One) Water Treatment Certification and have a valid driver’s license.
The applicant will be required to obtain the following within the prescribed timeframe:
- An Iowa Grade II (Two) water treatment certification within two years of employment.
- An Iowa Grade I (One) water distribution certification within one year of employment.
- An Iowa Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) within six months of employment.
Preferred (Not Required) - The following experience is preferred:
- Experience operating excavation and boring equipment.
- Grade I (One) Water Distribution Certification.
- Grade II (Two) Water Treatment Certification.
- Iowa Class A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Experience operating vacuum excavation equipment.
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off – both personal/sick and vacation
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Flexible spending plan
- Paid Holidays